News and Events
Hello Cougar Parents and Guardians,
Please join us for the April PTO meeting on Thursday April 21, 2022 from 3:15pm to 4:00pm in the gym. This will be an opportunity to find out what activities will be upcoming at the school and also ask questions. We look forward to seeing you tomorrow.
Hello Cougar Parents and Guardians,
There will be no school on the following dates:
- Monday, February 21st in observance of Presidents' Day.
- Tuesday, February 22nd and Wednesday, February 23rd for mid-winter break.
We will look forward to seeing our Cougars on Thursday February 24th when classes resume.
Tomorrow, Wednesday February 9th will be a Smart Wednesday Early Release. Students will be released at 2:10pm.
When: February 7 - 11, 2022
Where: Thorndyke Elementary School - 4415 S. 150th Street, Tukwila
The Dental Team will see babies, children, youth and pregnant/postpartum people and adults on Apple Health or uninsured.
At your SmileMobile appointment, we may do one or more of the following:
- Dental examination
- Oral health education
- Fluoride varnish
- Simple extraction
- Temporary filling
Due to COVID-19, we will not be doing cleanings or other services that generate aerosols.
To schedule an appointment, please call 1-888-286-9105.
COVID 19 VACCINATION CLINIC:
WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 9, 2022
The Tukwila School District will be hosting a COVID-19 vaccination clinic on Wednesday, February 9, 2022 from 3:00pm to 6:00pm at Thorndyke Elementary School. This clinic is for:
NO SCHOOL MONDAY JANUARY 31, 2022
Monday January 31, 2022 there will be no school for students. This will be a teacher in-service day. We will see all of our Cougars in person on Tuesday February 1, 2022.
FREE COVID-19 TESTING FOR STUDENTS, STAFF AND FAMILIES
The Tukwila School District will be providing free, on-site COVID-19 testing for students, staff, and families.
Friday, January 28, 2022
8:30am to 3:30pm.
Foster High School auxiliary gymnasium
COVID-19 Testing Event
- Rapid antigen tests will be administered for students, staff, and family on Friday, January 28, at Foster High School auxiliary gymnasium from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- We are prioritizing testing for anyone with symptoms or a possible COVID-19 exposure. Others who would like to get tested for peace of mind may also be tested.
- You do not need to sign up for an appointment.
- Tests are free and do not require health insurance.
- Results will show in 15 minutes.
- Please wear a mask and maintain 6 feet of distance while waiting for testing.
- Parents/guardians will be asked to sign a consent form for students to take a COVID-19 test at school. Students who are 18 years or older may sign their own consent.
- A test is not required to return to school once in-person learning resumes.
- If an individual tests positive for COVID-19 they will be asked to follow COVID-19 isolation guidelines. Please see our COVID-19 webpage for additional information. People with a positive test result will also receive further guidance from health staff.
- If you know you have a positive COVID-19 case, please do not come for testing. Instead follow the isolation guidelines, as listed on our COVID-19 webpage, and inform our staff if your student has had a positive COVID-19 test result.
Testing is an important tool to help monitor and manage the spread of COVID-19. Read more information about testing from the King County Department of Public Health.
Thank you again for what you are doing to help keep students and everyone in our community safer and learning.
ALL SCHOOLS REMAIN IN REMOTE LEARNING
Dear Tukwila families,
Thank you for your flexibility this week as we moved to temporary remote learning at home. All Tukwila schools will remain in remote instruction for one more week - at least through Friday, January 28. All students will continue following the remote learning schedules that have been shared by their schools and are posted on the district website https://www.tukwilaschools.org.
Remote learning schedules can be found here: Elementary Remote Learning schedule. Please use the tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet to find your child’s grade level.
Please read this website for more information about school district COVID procedures and how to keep your family safe from COVID: https://www.tukwilaschools.org/about-our-district/covid-19
As a reminder, if you or your student is experiencing symptoms or feeling ill, please remain home and follow Covid-19 guidelines.
Dear Families of Tukwila School District Elementary Students,
Cascade View, Thorndyke, and Tukwila Elementary schools will move to Temporary Remote Learning due to additional COVID-19 disruptions and staff shortages starting Wednesday, January 19, 2022.
All elementary staff and students in grades preschool through 5th grade will shift to remote learning beginning Wednesday, January 19th through at least Friday, January 21st, due to increased student and staff absences and lack of testing kits available.
There will be no in-person classes on Wednesday, January 19th. This is to allow time to prepare for remote learning. Students will check in at their teacher’s SeeSaw or Google Classroom for attendance at 8:50 am on Wednesday, January 19th. They will be learning at home independently for the balance of the school day.
There is more information below about instruction and support for students. Students receiving special education services will be contacted by their case managers.
· Your child will attend school online following the remote learning schedule from Thursday, January 20th until at least Friday, January 21st, or when it is decided that in-person school will resume. The District will update families on any extensions needed.
· If your student can’t be at school on Tuesday, contact your child’s school to arrange to pick up a device.
· Please check the Elementary Remote Learning schedule for your child’s remote instruction schedules. Please use the tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet to find your child’s grade level.
· Your child will need to use their District-issued laptop to attend class online, logging in to SeeSaw or Google Classroom and follow the Zoom link to connect to their teachers for attendance and instruction. This is the same process as last year.
· Support will be provided for students needing laptops, chargers, and WiFi-hotspots, or who have other technology needs. A link to ask for technology help will be posted shortly on the Technology Support webpage.
· If your child would like school meals, please arrive wearing a mask to the school to collect a to-go breakfast or lunch. Send someone else to collect meals if you are not feeling well. A family member can report to any school for curb-side pick-up for a “to-go” breakfast and lunch from 10:00am to Noon.
· Please read this website for more information about school district COVID procedures and how to keep your family safe from COVID: https://www.tukwilaschools.org/about-our-district/covid-19
This letter has been translated into the following languages:
Please click on the following link to access the translated letters: https://sites.google.com/d/1vsO6CAMyMYkvkXpBlfR_9nhCPD8a8jm9/p/1c5Bu2SxdmrJOO8JILclhrfTQYDNg3oRQ/edit
Please join us for a virtual Family Night event on Thursday January 20, 2022 from 5:00pm to 6:00pm. Scan the QR code for the meeting link or go to https://tukwila-wednet-edu.zoom.us/j/86141477953.
Topics will include:
- Dual Language
- Technology/Skyward support**
- Review of 5 year Technology Plan
**Please have your Skyward username and password available. If you do not have one, please contact your family liaison or call 206-901-8028.
There will be an additional breakout session with Dr. Herndon during this event. This will be a chance to ask Dr. Herndon questions and share any concerns you may have.
On August 31, 2023 Tukwila School District celebrated the launch of our Dual Language Program with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at Cascade View Elementary School. Planning for this program has been several years in the making and we are so grateful for the many staff, students, and families who have been a part of bringing this opportunity to the Tukwila School District. Bilingualism and biliteracy are valuable assets and our dual language program aims to provide all students with the opportunity to develop proficiency in two languages (Spanish and English) while also promoting academic achievement, cultural understanding, and a positive self-identity. The program launches with a group of Kindergarten students this year with one grade level being added each year through high school.
For more information about Tukwila School District's Dual Language Program, please visit our website.
Program Vision Statement
Our vision for the Tukwila School District Dual Language Program is to educate globally focused and multilingual citizens equipped with the linguistic and sociocultural competence necessary to succeed in a diverse world.
Nuestra visión para el Programa Bilingüe del Distrito Escolar de Tukwila es educar una comunidad de ciudadanos con una mentalidad global y multilingües que están preparados con las habilidades lingüísticas y socioculturales necesarias para tener éxito en un mundo diverso.
Program Mission Statement
Our mission is to empower students to become proficient bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural individuals who thrive in a multilingual and multicultural society. We strive to engage and prepare our students for academic, personal, and professional success through rigorous academic instruction and meaningful cross-cultural interactions.
Nuestra misión es empoderar a los estudiantes para que se conviertan en personas capacitadas bilingües, biletradas y biculturales preparadas para desarrollarse en una sociedad multilingüe y multicultural. Nos esforzamos para involucrar y preparar a nuestros estudiantes para el éxito académico, personal y profesional a través de una instrucción académica rigurosa, e interacciones interculturales significativas.
Winter Break - No School December 20 - 31, 2021
Classes resume on Monday January 3, 2022
Smart Wednesday Early Release December 8, 2021
Wednesday December 8, 2021 is a Smart Wednesday Early Release. Students will be released at 2:10pm.
PTO Meeting Thursday December 2, 2021
Please join us for the December PTO meeting on Thursday December 2, 2021 from 3:15pm to 4:15pm in the Cascade View cafeteria.